Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What's Your Take On Valentine's Day?


I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day. 

When I was younger, my mom taught me Valentine's Day isn't necessarily about being with someone, as in, I didn't have to have a boyfriend to be happy on Valentine's Day. She taught me the holiday was about love in general. She has always gotten me some sort of present on Valentine's Day. It use to be candy, then when I got older it would be me picking out a bathing suit for a spring trip or summer. My grama has always gotten me a card. 

Cards from my mom and grama this year.

Although my mom taught me the correct version of Valentine's Day, I still managed to be depressed when February 14th rolled around and everyone else had a boyfriend to shower them with gifts and gooey love. 

As I got older, Valentine's Day was tagged "Singles Awareness Day" which made being single on that day all the worse. One year in college my single roommate and I decided to celebrate Valentine's Day by going to the bar at 10am to day drink. Best Valentine's Day ever.

I would think that once I was no longer single, Valentine's Day would finally mean something. Actually, its been the opposite.  

The first Valentine's Day we were dating, M was still trying to decide whether it was really me that he wanted or this other girl "friend" that was in the picture. You can read more about her here. We were only about a month into our relationship, which wasn't really defined, and I didn't even get so much as a "Happy Valentine's Day" from M. I think he might have saved it for the other girl. 

Our second Valentine's Day we had been together for a year. I made M funfetti cupcakes (his favorite) and got him a Build A Bear Cleveland Browns monkey (which he still loves). What did he get me? Nothing. Not that I need gifts, but I felt embarrassed and I came to conclude M doesn't do Valentine's Day. 

The year after that I finally got flowers and last year I got roses. M is starting to come around. I've come to realize that I don't need Valentine's Day as a reminder that I feel loved. M is an amazing, generous, honest, respectful loving guy the other 364 days of the year. I'm not really into the big celebration, fancy dinner date or gifts of any sort. My birthday is a different story. It means more to me when it comes from the heart on a regular day. Getting off the couch at 8pm to go to the store for orange juice when I was sick says love way louder than flowers or chocolate on Valentine's Day. What a guy.

This year M and I are spending Valentine's Day in a car, driving back from Lake Tahoe. Grabbing Subway on the road is just as special as being treated to a fancy pants steakhouse or seafood restaurant because either way, I'm with my guy. Aww, how cheesy. I'm not a mushy person. I'll make M treat me to that big dinner another time, not being associated with Valentine's Day, don't you worry!

But if you love Valentine's Day and like to make a big deal out of it with your sweetie, there's nothing wrong with that! 


1 comment:

Monica said...

I was taught Valentines day is all about love too! I always try to make sure I tell my friends and family how much I love them on that day! I had a boyfriend for 5 1/2 years and we never did anything for it but he was great about doing lovey things the rest of the year so it never really mattered